Friday, November 6, 2009

Starbucks at IU

I just want to write a brief entry about Starbucks. I listed it as one of my interests in my blog profile, so I'm sure you're not too surprised that it is finally being mentioned.

First, I want to disclose that I am not affiliated with Starbucks in any way other than the fact that I am a huge fan and loyal customer. I know the company has many criticisms, but I think it does a great job at trying to be as customer-focused as it possibly can. Why else would it have created an entire microsite devoted to receiving customer complaints and suggestions? (www.mystarbucksidea.com) My Honors I-Core team and I created an entire marketing plan and corresponding presentation for Starbucks after conducting extensive research on the company, so I consider myself knowledgeable enough about the company to write about it.

This week the Starbucks holiday cups were released. My friend Heather (yes, the same friend who was homecoming queen that I mentioned earlier) and I had an excited conversation about how happy we were that the holiday cups were out. We both feel that the holiday cups put us in better moods. Also, I am currently drinking my first official Starbucks holiday beverage of the season - the Peppermint Mocha. I got a venti, which cost me around $4.50, but the joyful feeling and great taste made the expense worth it to me. This beverage actually reminds me of happy holiday memories, and blocks out the fact that at this time last year when I was drinking many peppermint mochas along with Heather we were both struggling through Honors I-Core final exams and the Business Plan proposal/presentation. All of those stressful memories are somehow completely unassociated with my Starbucks Peppermint mocha.

With that, I think the Starbucks location in the Student Union has the best restaurant location on campus. It was an incredibly smart business move to put a Starbucks in that location. The store is not in the food court, and instead on the floor above. Adjacent to the Starbucks stand is a very large, open, well-lit study room (the IMU Gallery) filled with tables that can be arranged for individual study and group meetings. The Starbucks music that is played in the study room is not distracting, and the entire environment is very welcoming - just like a Starbucks brick and mortar store's environment. I have many friends who go there to study, and Starbucks almost always profits from the people who study in the IMU Gallery. Also, I am in the computer lab at the Union right now, and I can see four Starbucks drinks right now within a twenty foot radius from me.

I realize that not all IU students drink coffee, but Starbucks is definitely making itself convenient to the ones who do.

1 comment:

  1. Does Blogspot disallow links in Comments - or what? I can't get a link to appear here.

    Anyway, your readers might find the following interesting:
    Joseph A. Michelli, The Starbuck's Experience, McGraw Hill, 2007
    (I haven't read it, but it's fairly famous)

    ReplyDelete