Monday, October 26, 2009

Online Media, My New Committee, A Free Concert, and My Senior Formal

This summer I learned a lot about how companies should monitor and participate in social media. According to the experts (my favorite being author and blogger David Meerman Scott http://www.webinknow.com/) , the new rules of online marketing is that companies should engage the people who write about them in online conversations - especially internet dissenters. However, it is important to do one's research due-diligence and figure out where your customers and potential customers are using social media before diving into the social media universe. For example, I worked at the environmental consulting firm Earth Knowledge last summer, and I safely concluded that Earth Knowledge did not need a web presence on Myspace because its consumers and potential customers do not use Myspace for environmental knowledge.

With that, I have my first meeting today for the new marketing committee I joined this month - the marketing department's Student-Faculty Relations Committee. Through this committee I chose to join the Community, Communications, and Social Networking sub-committee, so I can share my limited knowledge about communications and social media marketing. One of the goals of this committee is to improve the already stellar reputation of IU's marketing department, both inside and outside the Kelley School. We have noticed that within the Kelley school the marketing department has suffered from some negative stereotypes, but we hope to improve the brand image starting this year. I'll keep you posted on what the committee's progress is.

On a final note, this weekend was very fun. Victoria's Secret PINK sponsored a free concert in Dunn Meadow on the IU Campus, which featured Cobra Starship and Girl Talk. Since it rained while we were there, the field was completely destroyed, and what is currently left is a giant mud pit that Victoria's Secret is paying to re-sod (according to the IDS). Also this past weekend I had my sorority formal at Bloomington Country Club, and it was extremely fun! I missed having my boyfriend there, but I still managed to make the most of the night. Here is a picture from formal where some of my roommates and I are standing outside of the line of limos that took us to the dance:


Well, I have to register for next semester's classes at 2pm, so I am going to get going! Wish me luck on getting all of the classes that I need to take for my....LAST semester at IU! (scary thought.)

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Hello. I'm so glad that you like my book. Many thanks for letting me know.

    Good luck in your lest semester. I have no doubt you have a great career ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support! It's so encouraging to see your comment on my post! I attended the webinar you did with Awareness this past summer, and I also enjoyed reading World Wide Rave. Thanks for writing and speaking about such interesting topics!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete