Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Mission: To Enjoy Life As A Hedonist"

My 4pm class got cancelled today! Now I'm at home, and I'm going to try to cross things off my to-do list.

I really enjoyed my Consumer Behavior class today. The class is very psychologically-oriented, and I feel that it helps me understand my relationships with other people better. Thus far in the class, my professor has explained how humans are hedonists by nature, where they want pleasures and avoid punishments. Today, we talked about how no two people have identical experiences, so to expect others to have your beliefs or values would be futile. What I got out of today's class was that the only way to build rapport with others is to respect people when they disagree with you.

Since I am on the Student-Faculty Relations Committee for the Marketing department at Kelley, I was excited to see that the survey we created was sent out yesterday. It asks students about their current opinions of the marketing department, and how they feel changes should best be made. Some ideas that I like a lot are a.) to create more 1.5 credit hour classes that allow marketing majors to learn about more topics, b.) to create a way for marketing majors to connect more easily with marketing Kelley alumni, and c.) to put more marketing classes as pre-requisites of I-Core, so a student does not wait until Junior year to experience marketing. I hope there can be some outstanding changes made in the department, which will result in the department becoming even more respected internationally than it already is. (U.S. News & World Report ranked Kelley's marketing program #6 overall and #5 for public universities in 2009)

I'm sorry that I haven't been posting as many fun pictures or videos lately as you may be accustomed to. I'll try to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment