Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Today In M-342

Today I went to the first meeting of my marketing statistics class, M-342. I thought the teacher gave us some good advice about "how to have success in corporate America."

He said there are three things that are the most important. In order of importance:

1.) Exposure
2.) Perception
3.) Performance

He was saying this because he wanted to encourage all of us to network as much as we can while looking for jobs and internships. He is concerned about the tough economic climate, and wanted to mention that if we network and have others perceive us as pro-active or talented, then it wont matter AS much about how well we've done at Kelley. It really resonated with me, because I have been working so hard to get my grades up, but I have not be utilizing all possible resources to meet people who may want to employ me in the future. It's more that I've been very now-oriented, instead of future-oriented. In my senior year, I am going to try to meet many people in corporate America, so that way I can prove that my academic success is relevant to my capability of being an outstanding candidate for employers. Wish me luck, because I'll need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment