Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Revew of the New Computer Lab at the IMU

The front page story of the IDS yesterday was about the re-opening of the computer lab in the Student Union! My Theta sisters and I were all very excited about this, because the Union is much closer of a walk than any other computer lab if you need to print out your homework or class PowerPoint slides really fast. Since I had two computer projects that were due today, I decided to go check out the new lab last night.


(This photo was taken from http://www.idsnews.com/: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=70070&search=computer%20lab&section=search)


First, I'd like to mention the positives of the lab and say that it looks incredibly more modern. The design is very nice and aesthetically pleasing.

However, I do have some complaints. For starters, there needs to be a large sign pointing to where the computers are, which is the main reason why anyone would go to a computer lab. The computers are completely hidden from view to anyone first walking through the entrance. Once through the entrance, there is a row of computers to the left in the first room, which is where I decided to work. I sat down at the computer at the end of the row next to the windows. However, when the sun started to set, it cast a bit of a glare on my eyeballs, and I had to keep re-adjusting my sitting position so that I wouldn't have to squint. Also, the row of computers that I was at is right next to a sitting area. I'm glad there is a waiting area so you do not need to stand in that awful line down the hallway anymore, but it is somewhat distracting to have everyone talking behind you while you work. Instead of couches and chairs for students to sit and wait, the Union could perhaps have instead put another row of computers in. That completes my list of initial criticisms of the new lab.

Reader, I hope you don't take my list of complaints as reasons not to visit or use this lab. In actuality, it is probably the best computer lab on campus. Also, the best perk about this lab (in my opinion) is that it is super close to the Starbucks in the union...which came in handy when I needed a pick-me-up as I was working. I highly recommend visiting the new lab and forming your own opinion about its merit. Also, I'd love to know how anyone's printing experiences go - since I did not need to print anything there yesterday but may need to in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment