Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Marketing Career Fair

Last Thursday I attended the Marketing/Management career fair at the IMU's (Indiana Memorial Union) Alumni Hall. It was raining fairly heavily as I walked over in my suit, which is never a fun element to deal with when meeting potential employers. As I walked into the union building, instead of heading straight for the fair, I had to first find paper towels to dry off my legs and shoes. (I had mainly used my umbrella to cover my hair and purse full of resumes.) Luckily, I had success in finding paper towels to dry off with, and my umbrella worked in preventing my resumes from getting wet.

The fair had dozens of companies visiting, and I tried to talk with as many as I could. There was a large spread of organizations in attendance, which was very exciting. I came to the fair familiar with a few of the companies, and I also spoke with several others that had opportunities which sounded interesting.

Every recruiter was very nice and on their game. I first would ask them all about their full-time positions, and I received a very complete answer from every firm (even if they had been repeating the same thing hundreds of times that day to potential recruits). I also offered over my resume, and I spoke to each recruiter about my own experiences and what I could bring to their organization. Then we would talk about how I would go about applying for their positions, which always involved either applying on the company's website or "dropping my resume" to be preferenced for an interview on the UCSO (undergradate career services office) website.

Overall, I felt I learned a lot about the different companies recruiting at IU by attending the career fair this year. I look forward to building the relationships more with the recruiters I spoke with in order to find the best post-graduation full-time position for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment