Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Heavy Workload In D302

I'm not going to lie, I have been completely overwhelmed by my International Business class this semester. I guess you could say that it is smacking me in the face to start preparing for getting my MBA eventually.

So far this semester I have:
  • Read 5 chapters in the textbook (approx 30 pages each, with text and 2 case studies/chapter)
  • Read 110 pages of small-print articles and case studies (an entire "reader")
  • Read an outside Harvard Business Review case about CEMEX
  • Taken a 50-question multiple choice exam on Monday
  • Written an 11 page exam review guide for extra credit
  • Read a 37-page scholarly article and written a 5-page reflection paper
  • Prepared and presented a team country analysis presentation on South Africa
  • Taken a "syllabus quiz"
  • Prepared a pro-con document about 10 articles concerning South Africa
  • Wrote a team country analysis brief on South Africa

With that, I have a team Case Analysis exam tomorrow during class and an online homework assignment due Sunday night for the class. Let me emphasize that this is only our FIFTH week of classes - meaning I have been to that class only 9 days. While I feel that I'm learning a lot, I also feel like I am unreasonably behind in my other four classes. I hope the workload slows down a bit for the rest of the semester.

Today during my Poli-sci class my teacher asked the class why taxation and borrowing could be bad for funding a country's growth. I think he just wanted a simple answer, but I felt when I raised my hand that I could have gone on for days telling the class about how borrowing can lead a country to be insolvent if they use too much leverage to fund expasion. I even started talking about how that occurred during the Asian Financial crisis several years ago. Since this is a Western European Politics class, I think he was completely overwhelmed by my response. At least I'm applying what I'm learning in International Business, though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment